My Claim Captain

Get The Biggest Possible Home Damage Settlement

The #1 Public Adjusters in Miami

Public Adjuster FAQ

When you need to file an insurance claim, there are a lot of steps to the process. At My Claim Captain, we are here to assist you with your claim on property damage so the insurance companies don’t try to get you to settle for a low offer.


If it’s your first time filing a claim, you may have a few questions. Feel free to reach out to us at My Claim Captain when you have a question. One of our representatives will gladly answer any question you have when you phone 305-917-5630.


However, to make things easier for you, we’ve answered some of our client’s most frequently asked questions below.

A claims adjuster is here to help you file your insurance claim with the insurance provider. It’s our duty to advocate on your behalf to ensure you get the best rates possible. My Claim Captain is a public claims adjuster, which is the only type of adjuster that is legally allowed to represent the insurance policyholder when they file a claim.

My Claim Captain is located in Miami, FL. We are currently only servicing home and business owners with property in Miami.

When it comes to getting an insurance claim settled, every case is a different story. Unfortunately, filing a claim isn’t a “one shoe fits all” scenario. Some cases require more time and work to get settle than others. While some of our clients have their claims settled within a month, others may take up to a year.

When you file an insurance claim in Florida, there will be deadlines that both you and the insurance company will need to meet in order to successfully settle a claim. Every policy and case will have different times and guidelines that need to be followed.


Nearly every insurance company will require a proof of loss statement, which fully details everything that had been damaged/ lost and the amount of money being requested in the claim. Make sure you are aware of when your insurance company requires this information. It’s very common for companies to want it within 60 days of requesting the claim.

If you filed a claim on your own with the insurance company and it was rejected, you don’t have to settle for a “no”. In Florida, you are legally allowed to file a supplemental claim within 5 years after the damage occurred. My Claim Captain can help you out if you were previously rejected or paid an amount that was much lower than what you were entitled to. We will review your claim carefully to audit and analyze it, helping you get the full amount. Contact us to find out more about how we can help.

When damage has been done to your property, one of the things you will need to do is contact a contractor to get an estimate on how much it will cost to repair the damage/ loss. The insurance company is then responsible for matching that amount. In some situations, the Florida insurance company may try to offer you less.


Always hire a reputable contractor that you trust. Make sure they are licensed to operate within Florida. If their work is legitimate but the insurance company will not co-operate, contact us at My Claim Captain. A professional public adjuster will take on your case.

You are within your legal right ot hire a professional public adjuster any time you file an insurance claim. When damage has been done to your property, you are entitled to the full amount to have it fixed back to pre-damage conditions. It is against the law in Florida for an insurance company to cancel a client’s contract for seeking help from My Claim Captain.

Basically, your insurance provider is supposed to cover the costs to have everything restored back to how it was pre-damage. However, there is a fine line with every case. Policyholders can’t use this to their advantage to upgrade their damaged property. Yet, insurance companies must provide the money to fix the property to how it was before or equal value. (ei, if there was a certain type of flooring that is no longer available, the insurance company can’t replace it with flooring that is cheaper quality)

Some repairs can’t wait to be fixed, which means you likely need your insurance money to pay a contractor sooner than later. According to the law in Florida, the insurance company needs to respond to your claim within 14 days. After that, they are required to have the money paid to you within 90 days.


In many situations, you will be able to get a quote from the contractor of how much the repair will cost. The insurance company will release the amount needed to repair the roof to pre-damage conditions, which you can arrange to have paid to the contractor.

One question we hear a lot at My Claim Captain is “what do I do if my house in not liveable after damage occurs?”. This is a valid concern because the cost of temporary housing can be high. The insurance company is required to arrange temporary housing if the damage makes your house unlivable for a short period of time while the house gets restored. Every case is different and the type of coverage you are entitled to will vary depending on how bad the damage is, how long the repairs take, and what your insurance plan covers.